One of the best ways to get started with programming or help in finding a job is doing side projects. They help you understand what goes into making large feature rich applications.
This article will primarily focus on end user driven projects, i.e projects that anyone can use. This means all these projects will have some focus on building a UI interface.
A website that allows you to get a feed of all your favorite blogs/ YouTube channels.
- You usually need to go to Medium, Dev.To, Hacker News, or individual blogs. why can’t there be a service where it just gives me everything I subscribe to in one big feed ?
Task Management System.
- Instead of using Trello, ToDo List, and Jira, why don’t you make your own mixture of the three ? And have it integration with your favorite calendar of choose.
- Looking for a job these days is pretty spammy. There are a multitude of job boards that have posting after posting, and offer no information other then the post. Most job boards have more features geared towards recruiters, and have non for job seekers. And most of the time you end up have to make a spread sheet to keep all your application organized. Make something that fixes these problems.
- Everyone needs some help looking for a gift. Make a site that scraps Amazon for items, then build a ML model to recommend them to users using affiliate links. Use the information from every recommendation to training the model.
Apply Machine Learning to your domain of choice.
- Are you a Pokemon card nerd ? or a gear head ? Why don’t you make a ML model that can clarify car parts or Pokemon cards , and then deploy it as an API. You might be wonder how you could possibly do that, and its easier then you think. just do the first few course of arguably one the greatest ML course ever: https://course.fast.ai/index.html
Here is a list of things you will end up learning, or have experience in after completing any of the projects:
- How to structure your code
- What Frameworks to use
- How data flows through the application
- What data structures to use
UI – Design:
- How to plan out the interface of the application
- How to build for convince
- Getting better at CSS
- How to save data
- Work with data
- Integrate application logic with data logic
- How to make user accounts
- Stop others from accessing another users content
- Save user passwords
- Understand basic attack vectors – SQL Injection , XSS, CSRF, etc
Getting Better at your Frame Works of Choice